Tuesday, 23 June 2009

It's all about eyes....

This blog just keeps growing and growing and growing! First of all, here's a little something Leslie sent me a bit ago, so I'm sharing it with you! Now, don't faint, Ana!











































Even before our discussion on Tuesday (not to mention Kendra's blog post!) I'd already come to the conclusion that what makes Benji such a favorite among you ladies of the blog is not his body (though it is certainly to die for!) nor is it his kissable lips, or even his obviously large yummydoodle (or are we calling it a weasel now? I forget...), but his fascinating eyes. Smoldering hazel with clearly defined brows in an intriguing shape, they promise all manner of sensual delights. I also believe there is something about that two-toned iris that draws your attention; the dark edge with the lighter middle leaves the pupil more clearly defined and makes it very obvious that he is looking right at you. Coupled with that thatch of unruly dark hair, (and the rest of him!) the combination is quite compelling.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to convey those characteristics in a novel. You can describe them all you like, but it's the way they make you feel when you're looking at them that makes the difference. Therefore, instead of focusing on the actual size, shape, and color, a writer must emphasize the way our heroine reacts when she gazes into those portals to his heroic soul. Is she frightened, mesmerized, comforted, or sexually stimulated? And when the villain locks eyes with our hero, does he think twice before carrying on with his dastardly plans? I don't know about you, but that steely-eyed glare would certainly make me back down--no matter what I was up to! It's also rather predatory. His expression says he's found a target, but whether it is for love or destruction remains to be seen.

The best part about eyes is that they can change to reflect mood. Look at this one and you'll see the difference. Same guy, same pool, same float, similar pose, but the expression is completely different. Those eyes promise fun, warmth, and sensual delights beyond your wildest dreams.




















Now, which would you rather have? A hero who glares at everyone, or who saves that forbidding look for when it's truly appropriate, ie, when he's facing down the bad guy? For me, it's no contest. I don't want a man who scares me. I want eyes that smile and say, "Come on over here, sweetheart. I won't bite. . . unless, of course, you want me to."

PS: Here are two more terrific examples.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

JOINT NOW