I always find it amazing just how much things grow during the week I'm away on vacation. These hostas were giving me no clues that they would be in bloom when I came home, and the plants in my garden grew about a foot.
The barn swallows were still building this nest when we left--at least, it seems that way--but now, the eggs have hatched and we hear a chorus of chirps whenever anyone goes out on the porch.
I went to a wedding on Saturday and saw several people that I hadn't seen in many years, and was amazed by how much they'd aged. I've done the same thing myself, of course, but I see that in the mirror every day and the change has been gradual. I still don't like it, but at least I've had time to get used to the idea.
Sometimes that rapid change is a good thing: helpless babies become engaging toddlers in a very short time, and gawky teens turn into handsome young men almost overnight, but other times, it's rather sad. Once vibrant young faces become careworn and lined, and that spring you remember in their step (and your own) seems to have gone missing.
I planted some of the bamboos I bought in Myrtle Beach in a pot on my deck and I took this picture for future reference. I've heard that it can grow so fast you can almost watch it happening. It hasn't yet, but we have photographic evidence that it isn't very big. I'll be on hand to watch it growing, but you won't see it until later on. Should be interesting.
0 comments:
Post a Comment