It is now 10:35 PM on Sunday, and I just realized I haven't written Monday's blog. Right now, I'm tired, still not feeling particularly healthy, but I'm pleased to have good friends and followers on this blog, and since I haven't missed a day since I began back in December, I can't start now!I'm trying to gear up for the time when I go to Washington DC for the RWA national conference, where I'll be meeting a lot of my fellow authors, as well as my editor at Sourcebooks, and possibly other editors and agents and publishers. This is something I've rarely done in my life--at least, not all by my lonesome--and I'm both anxious and nervous. I've taken a lot of risks, both with my writing and with this blog. What will they say to me? Will they care what I've done? More importantly, will I care what they think? I don't know, but I do know that I've had fun with it, and with all of you ladies who read my books and visit the blog.
I went into this venture with the idea of doing something fun for a living, rather than dealing with the pitfalls of nursing and seeing people at their very worst, but, occasionally, you see some people at their best: dealing with the illnesses that life has thrown at them with grace and good humor.
I had the privilege of caring for a young man for the past few days who, though his condition is terminal, can still laugh and tell us "Don't touch my nuts" when we were finding peanuts in his bed. Actually, I'd already touched his other nuts, which I pointed out to him, but we all got a good laugh out of it, anyway. Afterward, my friend Suzie made the comment that he didn't know who he was dealing with.
I've met many patients and healthcare workers who have enriched my life, and I know that there are those in the publishing business who have affected me, as well. I've never met any of them face to face, just as I've never met some of the men who have inspired me, but I still feel that I can count them as friends. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.
It is now 11:01 PM. If I write any more, it will be total gibberish. Good night, and may God bless you all--including the hunks.
0 comments:
Post a Comment