I suppose if I wasn't the sort who reads the same books over and over again I might have a bigger Already Read Already pile, but there are those stories that have a certain feel to them that keep me coming back, and those which I associate with certain events or seasons. For example, I used to read Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy every fall, and never got tired of them. In fact, they're sitting right here on my desk next to Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. Kate's Sexy Beast III is there, too, along with The Tales of Beedle the Bard, by JK Rowling.
Right next to the bed, however, is the stack of Harry Potter books that I read continuously, but only as the reading I do before calling it a night. Something about those stories diverts my mind from anything that might be bothering me enough to keep me from falling asleep. I sometimes read an author friend's book at bedtime, but, particularly if it's a romantic suspense, it makes it more difficult to nod off. Those are the books I read when I'm at work and there's nothing going on and I'm trying to stay awake. There've been a lot of nights like that lately; our hospital has undergone some major changes and the census has suffered. Not sure where our patients have gone, but the ICU has been empty more often than I can ever remember it being before. Things will probably get back to normal eventually, but until then, it will continue to be a major source of stress.
Perhaps my tendency to read favorite books over and over again is a good thing. Publishing a book requires that it be revised and edited many times before it goes to print, so I've had lots of practice, but even though I enjoy reading what I've written, reading the same book three times inside a couple of weeks gets old.
As I've mentioned before, I'm working on an erotic short story, and having no rules has energized my creativity considerably. It might also be the result of the recharging effect from attending the RWA conference, but being able to write purely for pleasure (though hopefully for profit!) has certainly been a joy.
Well, it's getting late now, and Harry Potter is calling me, but I've just got one more thing I have to do. . . .

There! How's that?
I'm guessing these boys are trying to build a naked pyramid, but why?
Food for thought, isn't it?
0 comments:
Post a Comment