Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Thursday Thoughts


Just a few weeks after getting his driver's license, my son Sam got a job. Words cannot express how excited I am. It's close to home, an easy drive, and the people there seem very willing to help him learn.

This is one of those moments that I couldn't have foreseen back when he was a kid and still learning how to speak intelligibly. Teaching him to read was a battle of wills. The speech therapy was a long, tedious business. Homework was a daily nightmare. Thankfully, my husband is a better teacher and much more patient than I am. Without his help and all the research he did into new therapies, Sam wouldn't be where he is today.

Granted, his new job is not rocket science. He's working at a convenience store, cleaning and stocking for four hours, three days a week. They did say they might teach him to make pizzas, and I'm sure he will learn to do it well. Sam usually does a great job of anything I ask of him. He might fuss and grumble, but he will do it, and he won't piddle around, either. He takes his responsibilities very seriously, and I'm sure he will make as good an employee as he is a help to me.

And bless his heart, he told them he couldn't work on Sundays because that's when he does the laundry. *sniff*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

JOINT NOW