As you know, I visited my sisters in Kentucky this past weekend, and Marcy being the history buff that she is, there were several historic places she wanted to visit. I arrived at Bonnie's house at about noon on Friday, and after a quick lunch, we went to see the William Whitley house. Apparently Marcy and Bonnie have been trying to visit this one for a while, but since it isn't open year round, they kept missing it. This time, they called ahead and made sure it was open before we went!
This is the house. That's Marcy on the left and Bonnie on the right.
Apparently the old Indian fighter decided on a brick house after his first two houses burned down. During the tour, I found out one timely little tidbit that was worth remembering. Apparently the old saying "Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bedbugs bite" relates to the rope type of mattress support (which should be tight) and the little bag of tansy that was hung from the foot of the bed to keep the bedbugs at bay. Tansy is a rather pungent smelling, inedible herb that apparently repels them. I used to grow it, but haven't for a while. I'm thinking I'll plant it again next year, just in case the bedbug problem ever reaches us!
After the visit to the Whitley house, we went to Danville and visited Constitution Square, a cluster of historic buildings in the middle of town, that include the courthouse,

The jail,
After that, we walked through Danville for a while and had dinner at a nifty little cafe, which, of course, I didn't think to take a picture of! We went back to Bonnie's house after that. Marcy and I conked out pretty early, but poor Bonnie still had to go out and milk the cows!
That was day one of my visit. I'll tell you more about day 2 tomorrow, but right now, we need some moons to start the week off right!

0 comments:
Post a Comment