Thursday, 8 October 2009

The stuff heroines are made of


One more blog to write and I'm done for the week! Oh, no, wait. Must write one for Wickedly Romantic on Sunday. Maybe I'll do that one later.

After my sisters and I visited the Mary Todd Lincoln House in Lexington, we went to the Fayette Mall and my sister, Bonnie, wanted to see if they had any of my books in Waldenbooks, and they did. They had Outcast. Bonnie didn't know I'd used her name for the heroine, but she found out as soon as she flipped through it. I think she was pleased.

Naming heroines is as much of a challenge as naming the heroes. Guys have to have cool, macho, and in the case of my heroes, usually feline sounding names. But for Outcast, I needed a woman who was a tough farmer, and Bonnie is all of that. She runs her own dairy farm, and she will tell you that it's a very hard life--made even more difficult by the powers that be. Small dairy farms are steadily being pushed out of existence and pretty soon there won't be any of them left if things keep on the way they are. Farm expenses outstrip profits and not much is being done to rectify that situation. Even some of the big farms are going bankrupt. Something is definitely souring the dairy business.

Trust me, if you think milk is expensive, the farmers aren't the ones profiting. Just wait until all of our milk has to be imported, and then we'll see how much we have to pay for ice cream.

I hate to get all political, but it's not right. . . it's just not right. . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

JOINT NOW