Monday, 16 November 2009

Tasty Tuesday: Pa's Pea Soup!

This recipe was written by my father many years ago and given to my mother's cousin Mildred, or Silly Milly, as she was often called. After my father's death, she sent me the original version which he had typed up for her on his trusty Woodstock. In her letter, she asked that I never let it be lost, and since the internet is forever, here it is.

I have transcribed it exactly as he wrote it, (including his footnote) but it loses a little something for not being on the original paper, which has yellowed with time but still reflects the force with which he would strike the keys. A much more accurate typist than I am, there's not a single mistake on the page.

Not being as big a fan of country ham as Pa was, I prefer to use regular ham chunks with little or no fat. Plus, I like to serve it with grated cheese on top, which thickens the soup like magic when you stir it up.

However you make it, it's an unbeatable tummy warmer for a cold night.

Enjoy!

SPLIT PEA SOUP

(Made in a 3 1/2 quart crockpot)

4 cups split peas
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 shakes of Cayenne pepper
1 to 2 cups chopped onion
Country Ham - as desired **
When all ingredients are in crockpot, fill with water to within 1" of top and cook on "low" about 6 hours or until peas are as soft as you like.

**Since I'm on a low fat diet, I only use about a 2" x 3" slice of Hickory Mountain ham with all fat removed. I use scissors to cut it into narrow strips and cut the strips into little cubes and fry it before putting in crockpot. Obviously, more and fatter country ham will improve the flavor, but I make some concessions in the interest of longevity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

JOINT NOW